Monday, August 13, 2012

Eloise Wilkin- Baby's Mother Goose

 
 
 
 
 
 
 Bought this at a book sale for next to nothing -isn't it gorgeous?  This copy was published in 1958. I like the 'Little Girl with a Curl' poem - reminds me of my daughters. :)  And the picture from 'Pease Porridge Hot' reminds me of the 2 of them playing together.  The pictures by the iconic Eloise Wilkin, who illustrated 47 Golden Books and was called 'the soul of Little Golden Books'.  She often used her children and grandchildren and their friends as models for her pictures.  Wilkin was a devout Christian who often illustrated religious picture books or compilations of prayers. 
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. I have Eloise Wilkin's Little Golden book version of Mother Goose, but this one is different. How cool! My favorite LGBs from childhood were illustrated by Eloise Wilkin, especially Baby Dear, the '70s version of The New Baby, and The Little Book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool, you should post about the Little Golden book version sometime on your blog and then I can see what that one looks like! I have a few more Eloise Wilkin books I'll blog about at some point later too.

      Delete
    2. LOL oops I guess I forgot that I had the other Mother Goose version of hers too as I just came across it today!

      Delete
    3. Haha! I think we have 2 copies in regular Golden Book form, and one in board book form.

      Delete
    4. Ooh I would love to have one in board book form, that would be cute.

      Delete
  2. SO cute! I love Eloise Wilkins! I always search for her books when I go to book sales!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know her daughter.

    I had the large book when my children were young.

    I had the hard board smaller book when my oldest grandchildren were young. Unfortunately both fell apart--they were well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love children's books! The illustrations are best ! New follower!
    xoxo Carly

    ReplyDelete