Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Santa's Surprise Book

 
 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa
Enjoy this cute Whitman Tell-a-Tale book - Santa's Surprise Book - where Santa makes the book and then hops inside of it!  :)
What are some of your best Christmas memories?  We always went to my Grandpa's and to my great-grandmother's on Christmas Eve, all of our big extended family squeezing in.  Then on the way home we'd drive around looking at all the Christmas lights.  Christmas Day- open the stockings before church, then after church the rest of the presents.  My mom liked for us to open them slowly, each of us taking turns.  Now that I have my own family, we don't go quite as slowly with the presents as my mom did, but probably more slowly than most - we like to enjoy watching each present being opened.  Not an easy task with over-excited children, but we try!  On Boxing Day (Dec. 26) we would spend the day with my other grandparents and any relatives from that side of the family that had come in from out of town to visit.  For many years my dad would make an ice rink in our back yard and we could skate and play hockey with friends, relatives, and neighbours.

Linking up to Cozy Book Hop

4 comments:

  1. Aww, I love old Tell-A-Tales like this! Growing up, we usually went to our Christmas candlelight service on Christmas Eve, then woke up Christmas morning, did presents, then went to my great-grandfather's farm in Gypsum, KS, where we'd have a big buffet-style dinner with my grandma's brothers, their wives, and their kids. (My dad is my grandma's only child, and she was a single mom.) My parents divorced when I was 7, so our big change was to return from the farm and head over to my mother's for Christmas over there, usually spending the night. My Great-Grandpa died when I was 12. After that, we would have dinner at home or at my grandma's, then head to mom's. Only once in a very great while, we might head to my maternal grandparents in Oklahoma. Through high school and college, the routine might have changed, but not the people we spent the holidays with.

    The ice rink sounds like fun!!! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a blessing that we got to know some of our great-grandparents, eh? I hope that my daughters will have some of theirs around long enough so that they will be able to remember them.

      Delete
  2. This book looks beautiful! There are so many books I hope to stumble onto in my life. :) I loved reading about your Christmas traditions growing up. The one tradition that has always held up throughout my life was that Christmas night is a birthday party. Mine. :) We still get together at my parents every Christmas night to celebrate. I'm a lucky girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw your comment on Melissa's post as well that your anniversary is Dec. 27 - wow!! So Christmas, birthday, and anniversary all rolled into one!!

      Delete