Monday, May 19, 2014

Pippi Longstocking Comics










Get ready to be wowed!  How much do you love these comic-style Pippi books?!  Here we have Pippi Moves In and Pippi Fixes Everything.  They were illustrated by Ingrid Vang Nyman in the 1950's.  I was so excited to buy these re-issues for my daughter!  Apparently there will be one more volume to come!  It is the first time they have been published in English.  These stories were originally published in Sweden's Humpty Dumpty magazine about a decade after the original books were published.

My daughter Keira and I have been enjoying reading all the Pippi books together as well as these comic books.  We have also watched the Swedish movies subtitled in English as well as The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking, from the 80's, and a newer cartoon version on dvd that she got for Easter as well.  Pippi is the best!

Sometimes when I read Pippi I like to think of my Swedish great-grandmother.  I was lucky enough to have her around til I was a young adult, and she was 94 years old when she passed away.   She had some similarities to Pippi - Swedish, lived in an old house by herself, and had a bit of a mischievous streak.  :) Like Pippi, she was also very independent. She immigrated to Canada from Sweden all by herself when she was a young woman!  Who did that back then??  Very brave!

6 comments:

  1. these are lovely. I think my kids are between ages at the moment for them sadly, but in about two years I can put in an order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! I love the illustrations. We have the first book, but haven't read it yet. Of course, we love Pippi. We have the second and third novels checked out, waiting for their turn! Love the story about your great-grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic book! I adore Pippi and her independent and strong personality. My boy is not into her story but maybe it's because he cannot identify with a female character. I wish my girl will like it when she will be older! I love the story about your great-grandma. She reminds me of my grandmas and mother. They were made of steel, those old women!!! Very brave and very determined. I am sure she was an inspiration to you.

    ReplyDelete