Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Sampler of Seuss

 


Posted by PicasaSo far I've always blogged about vintage books that I own, but since I took out about a bazillion Dr. Seuss books from the library to decorate for Keira's birthday party, I figured I would show them to you.  Dr. Seuss has written A LOT of books so it will take a few posts to show them all to you!  I probably won't do them all in a row- we'll do a few and then take a break and get back to the rest later on or something.

First we have The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins.  I did not actually read this book to my daughter - I knew she would be scared and probably have a nightmare!  The magicians and the executioner in this book are too creepy for our taste!  In the story, Bartholemew is not able to remove his hat in the presence of the king because every time he does, a new and more ornate one appears on his head!

Then we have Daisy-Head Mayzie - the last children's book written by Dr. Seuss, although it was not published until after his death, and The Butter Battle Book.  This is an anti-war book - while I appreciate the moral of the story, I don't really find this book to be that captivating like many of Seuss' other works are.

And last we have The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories. This book includes the stories The Bippolo Seed, The Rabbit, the Bear, and the Zinniga-Zanniga, Tadd and Todd, Steak for Supper, The Strange Shirt Spot, The Great Henry McBride, and pictured here, Gustav the Goldfish. These stories were published in magazines in the 1950's but never in book form.  'Gustav' was later written into the book "A Fish out of Water" by Helen Palmer Geisel, Dr. Seuss' wife.   I really want to find that book somewhere, it is so cute.
More on Seuss next time!


Linking to Cozy Book Hop


6 comments:

  1. I love the Bartholemew Cubbins books. They are creepy, but so creative. The Bippolo Seed was one of the last big releases before my store closed last year. I was a bit distracted and never got around to properly looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you work at a regular book store or a children's book store? We had a children's book store here in our little town and it closed down a couple of years ago - so sad. I think they even did kids' birthday parties - that would have been so cool to do.

      Delete
    2. I was the storytime lady for a big box chain store. Our location was smaller than most, and there is a bigger, newer store just up the road. I worked there for 11 years, before they let our lease go up. I want to own a children's book store so badly. I'm watching for the digital dust to settle. I think the indies will still stand, but the climate for opening a new book store is a bit shaky right now.

      Delete
    3. That would be so cool, maybe one day you will!

      Delete
  2. Love love love! Daisy-Head Mayzie used to be one of my favorites! Thanks for linking up again with Cozy Book Hop!

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd totally forgotten about The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins. Yes, rather creepy, but a bit of a classic. One day, maybe, when my kids are older! lol

    Visiting from the Cozy Book Hop! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete