Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Poetry

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Two very similarly-titled poetry books for you here today - Poems and Prayers for the Very Young, and Poems to Read to the Very Young.  Love the sweet illustrations on both - they really show the adventure of childhood.  I like reading poems to my 5-year-old Keira, even if she doesn't totally understand all of the words or all of the sentiment, I like to try to discuss some of it with her or ask her what she thinks a certain word or phrase means.  Othertimes we don't even try to get into the meaning of it too much - I just let the beautiful and comforting sound of the words sink in .  For some reason that just reminded me of how on Disney Junior they now sometimes have a quick poetry break in between shows - very cool.  I love the poem here about being Five Years Old - it is such a special age.

3 comments:

  1. Very sweet. I love the illustrations on the bottom one especially.

    It's never too early to read poetry to kiddos, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks familiar. I think I must have had it as a kid. Thanks for linking up again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We own Poems and Prayers for the Very Young and I agree that it is quite beautiful. Thanks for linking up to The Children's Bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete