Saturday, September 22, 2012

The World of Eric Carle - Part 1

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


It's been a long time in between posts!  My poor baby has a yucky cold - she is waking up all night screaming because she can't breathe properly.  Anyway here is the fabulous Eric Carle!!!  He has illustrated more than 70 books.  His most famous, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, was first published in 1969.  Here's a couple pics of some of his books that we have - will include some more scans in the next post.  I was excited to find this little board book collection - I am a sucker for mini board books!  Which Eric Carle book is your favourite?  So many to choose from!  I am also posting here some pictures of my daughter Tegan's first birthday party in May.  My local public library was kind enough to let me borrow their Very Hungry Caterpillar big food shapes that they use for storytelling - score!!  They were such a cool way to decorate to go with the theme!  As you can see I just stuck them on the walls with duct tape.  I cut out small food shapes to stick on the loot bags.  And Pinterest came in handy for making Tegan's caterpillar with pictures of each month of her life and for making the caterpillar cake/cupcake combo.  Oh and did you notice her outfit?  Found it on Etsy!!  In case you can't see it very well it's a '1' with a caterpillar on it.  More about Eric Carle in the next post...

Linking to The Children's Bookshelf
Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

  1. It was the cutest 1 year old birthday party I've ever been to! You did a great job keeping everything part of the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE Eric Carle as well in our house. I love all your themed Very Hungry caterpillar crafts - the possibilities are endless, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely are... sooo much out there in Pinterest-land!

      Delete
  3. This is adorable!!! I love Eric Carle. What a sweet party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The very hungry caterpillar was one of my son's favourite books. He will be 40 next year. It just shows the longevity of these wonderful stories.

    Tegan's birthday looked like fun! My little granddaughter will be 2 next January. I must find a copy of the hungry caterpillar for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes is it amazing when a book becomes so well-loved! I'm sure your granddaughter would love a copy of it - I have seen book/toy sets of it where it comes with a stuffed toy caterpillar as well - that would be so cute for her!

      Delete
  5. Eric Carle is the best of the best! Have you ever seen lets paint a rainbow? sadly it's out of print, but I scored a copy at my local thrift and my little girl would have me read that book over and over every single day. My favorite is 123 at the zoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of Let's Paint a Rainbow... hopefully one day I will track it down like you did! Robyn sorry I haven't posted any comments lately on your blog - I have been trying to but the comment box won't pop up... don't know if it's just my computer or what it is. But I have been reading the posts on there- love the new dinosaur books coming out!

      Delete
  6. That is such a cute caterpillar cupcake display! Thanks for linking up to The Children's Bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - very fun to find your blog and link-up! I am enjoying all your posts about Classic Children's Books by the Decade!

      Delete
  7. Looks like a fun party. What a lovely library to loan you their resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was very grateful that they did - so perfect for our party!

      Delete
  8. Wow! That looks like a lovely party. I love the idea for putting the pictures of your child inside the caterpillar body.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love Eric Carle around here! I haven't posted much on him because of the hoops you have to jump through to get copyright permission.

    What a fun party idea! So cute! Thanks for popping over to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, look at all this goodness!!! I love every bit of it!!

    ReplyDelete